Folkways Press welcomes work from both emerging and established writers.
We want stories that often go untold; words that have been collecting dust in old notebooks; tales that inspire us to learn more about the world around us and the people in it.
NOTE: Submissions failing to follow our guidelines will not be read or considered.
OPEN SUBMISSION CALL
Whilst mental health is a more openly discussed topic within society today, there is still stigma surrounding mental ill-health. This stigma keeps those struggling silent and prevents them getting the help they need. Many health institutions, political figures, and societal structures often overlook mental illness and the importance of providing access to mental healthcare for all, leaving many struggling without adequate help and resources – especially marginalized and/or impoverished communities.
Keeping this in mind, we at Folkways Press want to open this anthology to discussions of mental illness, mental health, and the many circumstances and experiences existing within. We want this anthology to serve as a platform for those living with mental illness, working within the mental health field, those affected by mental illness, and beyond. This is intended to be part of a movement to reduce stigma, raise awareness and understanding, and amplify voices of those who are often silenced by societal judgements and indifferences.
We invite writers of all ages and backgrounds to contribute to our anthology. Topics can be wide-ranging (ex. mental ill-health and trauma; mental health and institutions; mental health and sports; mental health and race/gender/sexual orientation, etc.), but we would ask that you please keep within the overall theme.
We will be accepting essays between 2,500 and 3,500 words.
Submissions will be open until August 31st at midnight.
Any and all submissions that DO NOT adhere to our submission guidelines WILL NOT be considered.
Please refer to the general guidelines before sending your work.
We are looking forward to reading your words and sharing your stories!
- Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name and the genre of your work (poetry, short story, etc.) in the subject line, like so: [GENRE] – [NAME]
- Please compile your submission in ONE Word document (.doc/.docx). Please include page breaks in-between each work and clearly note titles where necessary (bold or italics)
- We ask that your submission be formatted in 12pt Times New Roman or Georgia fonts. Poetry should be single spaced and all other submissions be double spaced.
- When submitting your work, please include a brief synopsis and bio consisting of no more than 100 words
- We DO NOT accept any work that directs hate/promotes violence toward anyone, this includes work that is homophobic, transphobic, ablest, or sexist.
General Manuscript Guidelines
(please note we are currently not accepting manuscripts)
- Poetry manuscripts must range from 35 to 60 pages.
- Novellas, memoirs, essay collections, and short story collections must be at least 25,000 to 30,000 words.
- Flash fiction collections must be at least 15,000 words.